Adamu Yusuf
A retiree and Former Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Kaduna Polytechnic (ASUP), Comrade Mustapha Yahaya Bida, has alleged the demolition of his house by the Presidential Implementation Committee (PIC).
The Guardian gathered that the demolition was in spite of the restraining court order issued by Justice E. Andow of the Kaduna State High court.
Kadpoly Property Land Grabbers Allegation: Court Reschedule Pre-trial Conference
Consequently, Bida has threatened to file contempt charges against the PIC over the demolition of his property.
Speaking to journalists, Bida lamented that despite court order, the desperate land grabbers destroyed his house and erected beacons in the landed property.
” The case is currently being heard at the Kaduna State High Court involving PIC and three other defendants. However, last Tuesday, the security guard at my residence called to intimate me of the serious threats to my life” he said.
Alleged land in Kadpoly: Court grants plaintiff’s motion
“These threats have become so severe that i was forced to vacate the premises. “A close confidant also warned me, emphasising that in land matters, people can go to extreme lengths, even resorting to spiritual or physical harm, so I had to prioritise my safety,” he said.
According to Bida, since the commencement of the case, he has obtained a court injunction in 2023, which should have stopped any party from taking further actions regarding the disputed land.
“Despite this, last week, the actors involved in trying to illegally seize the land was on the property again.
“I was shocked because this is contempt of court! I visited the property and found that they were placing beacons, which clearly indicates that their actions are recent and illegal.
“There was nothing like this before. After I have owned the property for two years, they are attempting to mark it with beacons under the guise of a “caveat”.
“I confronted the surveyors on ground and asked if they were aware that the matter is currently in court. They claimed ignorance, so I warned them that I would personally report their involvement as I saw them on-site carrying out the work. “This is the third instance of contempt. In the earlier incidents, they destroyed the main house, which is the central issue.
At one point, their lawyer lied in court, claiming that my lawyer had withdrawn from the case, which was completely false,” he explained. Bida said the lawyer couldn’t substantiate his claim, until his own lawyers clarified the situation before the court.
The case, he said, has now progressed to the pre-trial conference (PTC) stage, and the next sitting is scheduled for May. On his next action, Bida said:
“I have already briefed my lead counsel, Sani Addo, although he is currently on a religious pilgrimage (Umrah).
“Once he returns, we will meet with him and provide a detailed briefing on everything that has transpired. I have also informed the head of his chambers. If Addo deems it necessary to proceed with filing a contempt charge, we will take that step,” he said.
Bida, who retired in 2024 after 39 years of service, had reported that his allocated property at No. 13 Ribadu Road, Unguwan Rimi GRA, Gabasawa, Kaduna, has been unlawfully invaded, boy’s quarters and the fence were destroyed, and a new fence has been erected, contravening the court’s order.
“A Kaduna State High Court had reportedly issued an interim injunction restraining the land grabbers from trespassing, destroying, developing, or renaming my property pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice,” he stated.
When The Guardian called the PIC counsel, Abdullahi Ahmad for comment, he said: “Please, I don’t have right to talk to any journalist. I am a civil servant, and I am even going for prayers now.
“You can go to the PIC, they have press people there. They will give you anything you want concerning that property. Please, I am going to the mosque now,” he stressed.